Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tools of the Trade: Sharp Knives

Cooking can be hard. In fact, it can be infuriating. Especially when you don't have the right tools. But unlike other blogs or chefs, I'm not going to tell you to run out and spend tons of money -- I promise. In fact, I'm cheap. With cheap, comes, well, cheap things. But first thing's first... you know what sucks worse than trying to chop through an acorn squash by doing motion like you're wielding an axe? Doing it with a crappy knife.

I had a big set of 20 knives, in one of the wooden blocks. Steak knives, paring knives, giant knives... and you know what? It wasn't worth it. Sure, steak knives are handy for individual place settings, but I found that all those different knives people recommend for so many different tasks really just gave me a headache.

I know I said I have three. The other is dirty. So what?
Instead, after one trip to my mom's, I used her santoku knife. Santoku knives are the "general purpose" knife in Japan, and now in my house too. I have three... and I stopped using other knives. Two were a little expensive for my tastes ($15 and $20) but the third is flimsier but still does its job beautifully and cost $7 at a grocery store. You don't have to pay big for good results.

 So, these THREE knives replace my huge, $40 knife set. But I said I wasn't going to try to sell you on certain things -- I'm not.

The most important thing about your knives is that they are very SHARP.  


After using my poor quality and very dull knives, then switching to these, which are very, very sharp, cooking suddenly became a hell of a lot easier, less frustrating, and even at times, enjoyable.

In fact, you will cry less chopping onions if your knife is very sharp because you won't smash the cells that release the gas that burns your eyes. So it's a win-win.

4 comments:

  1. You mean I don't have to feel guilty about not using all of my knives? Cool! (I have three knives that are my go-to knives as well.) I also never knew that about onions. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh. I felt GUILTY that I wasn't used the paring knife for paring, and so on, but honestly? They just frustrated me! Having three super-sharp knives that can do basically anything works so much better.

      And the onion thing I learned from Alton Brown, so it's all SCIENCE-Y!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-gfFzC6Uw

      Delete
  2. Having sharp knives really does make a huge difference. I love my Santoku knives, but I also have a fancy, shiny, SHARP knife that Joe bought me for my birthday (yes, he did and yes, I love that he did, he knows about my love affair with my kitchen knives) and that one is by far my favorite. I can peel a tomato with that baby.

    This is really important, the sharp knife thing, for anyone who is learning about cooking. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete