Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Soy Scallion Flank Steak

This recipe is so easy, and so mouth-wateringly yummy, it's bound to be a favorite.  It is in my house...I can tell because my two youngest kids keep asking "When are we gonna have THAT steak again?"

You'll need:

1/3 c. soy sauce

3 cloves garlic - crushed (the jarred stuff saves time and effort...get some asap)

2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (again, they sell this stuff in jars, pre-grated.  It's awesome, and I'm never without some in my pantry.  You have to be pretty hard core to buy ginger root and stand there and grate it with a zester.  I mean, come on.)

2 tablespoons rice vinegar (I know.  Calm down.  WTH is RICE vinegar?  Simply go to the grocery store, and go where they sell the white vinegar.  It's usually on the bottom shelf.  Now, look up.  The fancier vinegars will be up on the top shelves.  Get regular rice vinegar.  Not garlic, or any other fancy schmacy flavor.  Just rice vinegar.  No, it's not expensive.  Yes, it's really worth it.)

1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil (found with the Asian foods - top shelves.  Easy peasy)

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper - aka cayenne pepper

1 bunch green onions - chopped (the ones that look like giant chives, you dig?)

2 1/2 pound beef flank steak (Okay.  That's what the recipe calls for, but I have yet to find a damn 'flank steak'.  So, go ahead and get crazy.  Use a London Broil!  Use...*gasp* Sirloin!  Any cut of steak will do!  It will be oooookay.  Trust me.)


Now do this:

Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl, except the green onions.  Stir it up until blended.  Now, pay attention.  You need to reserve some of the marinade!  Don't pour it all in the ziploc with the steak!  Save 1/4 cup of it to the side.  (I say this because this is EXACTLY the type of thing I'd do...and then smack myself in the forehead.  I'm tired of smacking myself in the forehead.  I hope to save you from the same fate.)  Go ahead and poke a bunch of holes into the steak with a fork, on both sides.  This will allow the marinade to penetrate the meat better.  (My mouth just started watering thinking of this steak...that's how good it is)  NOW pour the marinade in the ziploc with the steak.  Marinate for at least 2 hours (the longer the better, even 24 - 48 hours) turning occasionally.

Fire up that grill - or yell at the husband to do it.  Grill the steak to perfection.  As 'perfection' is an opinion, grill it to your liking, meaning - rare, medium, well done...like that.  When it's done, remove it to a plate.  Mix 2 tablespoons hot water with the reserved marinade, pour over steak.  Sprinkle the top with generous amounts of green onions.  Enjoy!  Om nom nom...wish I had steak to make this tonight.  Drat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment