Friday, September 21, 2012

Sweet Pear and Onion Porkchops


Maybe a year or two ago, maybe more, I remembered cooking pork chops with some apple or pear and onions on top. I couldn’t remember all the details, so I Googled similar recipes, noted similarities in some, and threw ingredients together. The end result was sweet, salty, crispy and soft, and so insanely tasty I wanted to lick the plate. It must be a blue moon, because that never happens.

Wanna make it yourself?

Ingredients:

Pork Chops (one or two for each person, I prefer thin cut)
2 Beurre Bosc pears
1 small white onion (I actually used half  a medium one)
1-1/2 tablespoons rosemary (dried or fresh is fine)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/8 – 1/4 cup white cooking wine
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons brown sugar
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons butter
cooking oil of your choice (I used peanut)

 (Please keep in mind my seasoning amounts are totally approximate — the only thing I know exactly how much I used is the meat, pears and onion!)

Place one skillet on the stove on medium/medium-high and heat your oil, and melt your butter in a medium saucepan.

Chop pears into small pieces, and finely chop onion as well. Put those two into your saucepan with the butter and stir to coat evenly.

Generously salt and pepper both sides of pork chops, and lay on skillet with oil. Be generous with your salt and pepper.


Once the onions are soft and the pears are starting to come apart a little, sprinkle a generous amount of rosemary, garlic powder, and white wine and brown sugar, and stir well. Allow to come to a boil, then turn down to simmer.


Flip pork chops as necessary, and cook until there is a nice dark brown crispy crust on both sides.

I ended up adding some water to the pear/onion mixture because as it started to cook out the liquid, I realized I did want some juice to it. I poured in the water and turned it back up to boil, then turned it down only a tiny bit, constantly stirring so nothing stuck or burned on the bottom.

It had been my intention to then pour the mix over the finished pork chops in the skillet and let them mix together for a bit, but I didn’t end up actually doing that. Instead, once the porkchops were nice and browned, I just scooped pear/onion mix on top of them, and this made enough for about 6-7 pork chops with generous amounts of topping. SUPER tasty.


*This recipe was originally posted on my parenting blog, Daily Momtra.

No comments:

Post a Comment